Watercress, courgette & orange cake recipe >
The most wonderfully easy cake. Great with a nice afternoon cuppa!
Ingredients & Method >
210g of courgette (grated)
40g of finely chopped John Hurd’s Watercress
150g of caster sugar
Half a TSPN of baking powder
125ml of vegetable oil
Two large organic eggs
2 drops of orange essential oil
Half a TSPN of bicarbonate of soda
For the icing…
250g of icing sugar
250g of butter
1 drop of orange essential oil
1. Remove excess water from the grated courgette by draining over the sink in a sieve
2. Combine the eggs, oil and sugar in a large bowl, beat them until light and fluffy
3. Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, mix until well combined.
4. Add in the orange essential oil
5. Stir in courgette and watercress and mix well.
6. Pour into muffin cases, tins or into 2 large sponge tins, which are pre-greased.
7. Bake for approx 20-35 minutes depending on size of cake. Until light and springy to touch in the middle.
8. When totally cool, mix well the butter and icing sugar until smooth and soft, add in the orange essential oil and pipe onto the cakes.
9. Refrigerate to allow the butter the harden slightly.
A rustic artisan loaf that can be used any time of day. It goes amazingly well as a brunch with poached organic eggs and smashed avocado. Your family will thank you for this one!
Visit Us (by appointment)
John Hurd's Organic Watercress
Get in touch...